Sunday, August 20, 2017

Tips That Helped Me Improve My Art

Hello there Jammers! I'm Purplestarclub and this is my first official post after my introduction. Yay! XD I've been very confused over what to post and at the end, I just decided to do the classic ''Tips'' post. Nothing wrong with that, right?  The more tips you know, the better! Thanks to Lostfairy for helping me decide what to post. :D

Of course, I still have a long way to go when it comes to drawing but I've learned quite a lot of things about art. The following are some of the tips that helped me improve my art along the way.

1- Learn Realistic Anatomy
I just started learning anatomy and seriously, art is so much easier for me now. I know what some of you are thinking, ''But I draw cartoons. I don't NEED to learn realistic anatomy.'' Well, that's not true at all. You've probably been told this at one time or another, no matter what style you're drawing in, you really do need to learn realistic anatomy first. Once you've learned proper anatomy, you can easily draw in a cartoon-ish art style while making sure that thing you're drawing actually looks like it.
Now, how exactly do I learn this anatomy?
Well, it's not as hard as you think. One of the things I do is look up the skeletal systems of the animal you're drawing. Don't worry, the Google results won't be haunting as long as you don't scroll too deep.
Here's an example:
                                  Image result for wolf skeleton
What I do is that I draw the skeleton (no need to add much detail) and then I try to draw the actual animal on top. Trust me, it's not very complicated.


2. Practicing Everyday!
If you ask any artist how to improve, they'd probably say, ''Practice.'' They're right! Try to draw something, anything, every day. It doesn't have to be a full illustration. Even doodling helps! Last year, while my exams were going on, I was super busy so what I did was just doodle everyday. Just by that 1 month of doodling, my art improved. It's actually true!


3. Adding Shadows.
If you feel like your drawings are super simple and you don't like it, start adding shadows. Even if you don't know how to do it properly, just take that step. You'll learn more about shading and lighting as you go on with your art journey but it's important to start somewhere. Shading helps make an art piece stand out a lot more. Here's an example to help you:
This is a circle. Pretty simple right. Now let's see how it looks like with shading.
Well, would you look at that. Shading really helps make your art better. All you have to do is plan out a light source and lighten up that area where it's hitting that object with an airbrush and darken the area which is being blocked out by an object. 


4- Taking Constructive Criticism.
I've always hated getting criticism, but then I realized that it's not bad at all. If you get it from a nice person or a friend, it can help you improve A LOT! If you're making art in the hope that others like it as well, then you need to know what others think you could work on. Don't feel like they're saying that your art is ''bad'', they're just telling you what you could improve. Sometimes, we just don't see the flaws by ourselves so it's better to know what others think. 
                     --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, that's all that I could think of for now! Let me know if these tips helped or if you'd like to see some more. :) I'll see you all in my next post. 

                                                            
                                                                 Bye for now!   

3 comments:

  1. Nice tips! If I ever draw an animal I just search the animal and base my picture offf of that animal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anatomy is really hard for me because I didn't ever try to study anatomy until I realized I had to to make good art. My animals didn't used to have a neck, it was just head and body XD

    Hey, practice makes almost perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome tips! I'll be sure to do that :D

    ReplyDelete

This blog is for Jammers of all ages, so there are some comment rules:
LINKS MUST BE ANIMAL JAM RELATED, AND APPROPRIATE!
Don't post links to unrelated or inappropriate websites, or your comment won't be approved.
NO BAD WORDS!
Comments with swear/curse words will never be approved! Keep your comments clean.
BE NICE!
Keep your comments kind! Constructive criticism is appreciated, but bullying of any kind is not.
NO PERSONAL INFO!
I will not approve comments containing or asking for personally identifiable information!

Thanks for visiting The Animal Jam Artists Collaborative!