Monday, August 14, 2017

5 Tips for Editing Greatness!

Hey there - Arctic here!

This week I thought I would post a bit about editing, and how to improve upon it!

I consider editing to be a type of art- just in a different way than drawings and such. It takes a lot of work to make edits, and is just as difficult as regular art, in many cases!

And so, I'm coming at you today with my tips for editing greatness! Now, I had planned to talk a bit about it last week (very briefly), but I thought I'd compile my thoughts a little better and make it into a post this week instead. So, without further ado:

Here are my tips for making better edits!

1. Download Faolan's Edit Beginner Pack. 

If downloading files onto your computer is an option for you, this could help you A LOT. Originally created and posted on the Animal Jam Amino by a Jammer named Faolan, this package has almost everything you could possibly dream of for editing! Not only does it include the AJ fonts for FREE, but it has all sorts of other neat things like graphics, beta graphics, buttons, and much more! This is an absolute must-have for all editors out there!

2. Study Animal Jam

Okay, don't study it like you would a textbook, or anything. By study, I mean pay attention to the little details in the game. Take a good look at colours, outlines, shapes, and sizes - all of which are vital to re-creating Animal Jam's style. This goes for any other edit too - take a good look at the environment around it so your edit will blend in.

3. Avoid seams!

"But Arctic! What are seams?"

Now I'm not talking about the seams in your clothes - but seams in your editing. The fine line on an edit that's slightly off is what I call a seam.


Notice how everything on the right side of the photo is every-so-slightly lower than on the left? While it might not "seam" (ba-dum tshh) like the most noticeable thing, it can make your edit look sloppier and less believable. Thankfully, these are easy to avoid with a careful eye!

4. Get creative!

Awesome edits are both creative and well-made. Think outside the box- try something new! As cheesy as it sounds, this can make your edit a lot more interesting to look at!

5. Try, try again.

Okay OKAY I know it's cheesy! But how can you improve without practice? Work real hard, keep trudging on through, and do your best. That can make all the difference.

So there we have it! My five tips for editing greatness. If you ever make an edit you want to show me, be sure to tell me! I'd love to see what you all come up with.

That's all for this week, see you soon!

Beep Beep



3 comments:

  1. Great tutorial! I've always loved editing... I remember the days when I tried to make edits in Microsoft Paint, though.... *shudders* Paint is NOT good for making edits with XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing post!

    I almost never do edits XDD Because the only painting softwear I have on my cpu is the default pain program (i have GIMP on some, but its to confusing for me lol)

    ReplyDelete

This blog is for Jammers of all ages, so there are some comment rules:
LINKS MUST BE ANIMAL JAM RELATED, AND APPROPRIATE!
Don't post links to unrelated or inappropriate websites, or your comment won't be approved.
NO BAD WORDS!
Comments with swear/curse words will never be approved! Keep your comments clean.
BE NICE!
Keep your comments kind! Constructive criticism is appreciated, but bullying of any kind is not.
NO PERSONAL INFO!
I will not approve comments containing or asking for personally identifiable information!

Thanks for visiting The Animal Jam Artists Collaborative!