Monday, September 4, 2017

The Swan Edit: Part One!

Hey Jammers, Arctic here with some fresh new edits for you! Let's get rolling!

I am working on a rather large edit at the moment! The animal I'm editing is a swan.

The reason why this is a large project, is that some people have been interested in the "steps" that I used when making an animal edit! So, I've been taking progress shots so that you can all see the progression! I plan to make the playable character sometime soon.

I started out with some AJ art of the ostrich as a base to start off of. I find it's good to work off of some Animal Jam original art to get started:


Next, I did some erasing and cutting to get a basic shape for the body. I also looked at a reference image (bottom right) to get an idea of what I wanted to do:


Next, I drew out the basic shape of the neck, head, and face. Things were still off at this stage, but I had a basic idea of what I wanted it to look like. I also used the Snow Leopard's eye instead of the ostrich eye, as I felt it suited the animal better:


Next, I completed the colouring for the animal. There were still places that needed to be smoothed out/retouched, but it was coming along nicely:


By this point, I had completed the smoothing and was ready to move on to the feet. I also retouched the beak to make it flow better and look a little less wonky:


It took a while, but I managed to draw some feet for the character. I was getting ready to work on the icons now:


I had to take a couple screenshots, and shift things around, but the icons were almost done:



And finally: THE FINISHED PRODUCT!


I am very happy about this edit, and I think it's probably my best one yet! I still have to make the playable character edit, but this alone is something to be quite happy about!

Is this a believable edit? Did you enjoy seeing the steps put in? Would YOU like to see Swans in Animal Jam? Tell me all your thoughts in the comments! I'd love to hear what you think!

That's all for now, friends. Until next time!

Beef Burritos and Tex Mex, What Will Arctic Edit Next?

12 comments:

  1. Wow! Great edit!! What photo editing software do you use?
    (:
    ~ Iluvsnowdrop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I use FireAlpaca for all my art and edits!

      - Arctic

      Delete
  2. I LOVE IT!!! You should totally get a job at AJ one day for graphic designing/editing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWESOME :O Seriously on Sunday I was thinking how cool it would be to have a swan (because at the right angles a white flamingo looks like one XDD)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! Keep up the great work, Arctic!

    ReplyDelete

This blog is for Jammers of all ages, so there are some comment rules:
LINKS MUST BE ANIMAL JAM RELATED, AND APPROPRIATE!
Don't post links to unrelated or inappropriate websites, or your comment won't be approved.
NO BAD WORDS!
Comments with swear/curse words will never be approved! Keep your comments clean.
BE NICE!
Keep your comments kind! Constructive criticism is appreciated, but bullying of any kind is not.
NO PERSONAL INFO!
I will not approve comments containing or asking for personally identifiable information!

Thanks for visiting The Animal Jam Artists Collaborative!