Thursday, March 22, 2018

"I Drew the Animal Jam Seal as a Chibi!" (Or, "How to Draw a Roly-Poly Cutie™ in 3 Easy Steps!")

Hello Jammers!

Karalee here!



After two pretty detailed editions of my How To Chibi series, I figured that continuing to write down the same order of steps over-and-over again would get awfully repetitive and annoying. Therefore, I've truncated the process into the three basic stages. The purpose of continuing with these shortened tutorials is a.) adorable art, and b.) as a study on what chibi-fying looks like when dealing with the varying shapes of AJ animals.



So, without further ado --



Step 1: Reference Photo.



An adorable Seal, but very angular.

We'll have to do something about that if we want UCA (Ultimate Chibi Adorability). 😉



Step 2: Base Sketch



Ta-daaaaaa! The eyes are bigger, everything's rounder and softer, and our Roly-Poly Cutie's cheeks are chubbier, too (you can tell by that extra little curve at the side of his mouth, as opposed to the tiny line shown on the official artwork).



Step 3: Color, Lineart, and the Obligatory Sparkles!



Okay, so maybe this was more than just one last step. 😳😁 (The truth is, I kind of forgot to take progress shots for this part.) You can see the expanded version of these steps in previous weekly posts of mine!

The biggest thing I need to elaborate here is how the shadows enhance our Roly-Poly Cutie's Roly-Poly Cuteness. They reveal 3-D curves that weren't previously visible, continue along the curve of lines that already are there, and even put a little dimple on our sweet baby Seal's chin!

If there's one thing I could change about this drawing, it would be the eyes. They don't seem BIG or BRIGHT or ROUND enough for me.

If there's one thing I would want to keep the same at all costs, it would be his mouth. I really like how the 3-D-ness came out! 😊



Welp, that's all from me! I'm off to take a hot shower to see if I can't shake this darn cold. *sniff* See you next week! I think next week is a Bunny? That'll be FLOOFY!

*waves* Bye!



PEACE!
LOVE
NINJAAAAAAAS!



(DXplorergirl)

4 comments:

  1. OM I LOVE THIS SO MUCH!!!!!! ITS SO CHUBBY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously I love it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE IT! THE SEAL LOOKS ADROABLE

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG ITS SO CUTE AND CHUBBY!!!!!

    AFTER YOU DO ALL THE REQUESTS THAT YOU HAVE
    YOU SHOULD DO A DEER
    OR RED PANDA
    (i'm loving these Kara XDD)

    ReplyDelete

This blog is for Jammers of all ages, so there are some comment rules:
LINKS MUST BE ANIMAL JAM RELATED, AND APPROPRIATE!
Don't post links to unrelated or inappropriate websites, or your comment won't be approved.
NO BAD WORDS!
Comments with swear/curse words will never be approved! Keep your comments clean.
BE NICE!
Keep your comments kind! Constructive criticism is appreciated, but bullying of any kind is not.
NO PERSONAL INFO!
I will not approve comments containing or asking for personally identifiable information!

Thanks for visiting The Animal Jam Artists Collaborative!