Thursday, April 5, 2018

Art Dump of Light and Shadow! (or, This Post Title Sounds Like it Could Be a Circus.)

Hello Jammers!



This week, we'll be taking a break from our regularly-scheduled chibis... mostly because I don't know where my drawing stylus is. (I had it recently, I know it! But where?)

In substitution for a chibi, I'll be doing an art dump of several drawings I've made previously, when I was practicing light and shadow. Tell me what you think in the comments? C: What areas look like they should be in more shadow than they have? Is the light source consistent?





This lady doesn't really have much shadow, since her light source is from above. However, she does have some warm orange-toned highlights, and the folds of her dress do have some shadows on them.





This was, I believe, mostly an excuse to draw shiny golden curls (which I find to be the most fun kind of hair to draw), but I am also very happy with how the jeans turned out! It seems to be mostly the placement of the fading on the shins, thighs, and -- er, posterior that makes jeans look like, well, jeans.





This is an experimentation I made with a much more anime-like style, and colored in a manner reminiscent of cel shading. Some of my favorite parts of this are the way the hair is divided into large clumps that work together to make a unified hairstyle, and also those little pants-wrinkles behind the knee. Those just make me too happy. It's ridiculous. XD Clothing folds are difficult for me, so the difference that ended up coming out between the leather jacket and the cloth pants is really pleasing, and I want to figure out just how that happened and replicate it.



Well, that's the end of the art dump! See you next time for another intallement of How To Chibi!

*waves* Have a wonderful week, and please leave me a comment about where my light and shadows could improve! 😀 Bye for now!



PEACE!
LOVE!
NINJAAAAAAAS!



(DXplorergirl)



P.S. Bonus funny pic!

9 comments:

  1. Om I love the 2nd one so much :o

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are really good! I struggle to draw wrinkles and folds in clothes (maybe you could do a tutorial on it?) Also that post XD. A perfect example of "you had ONE job"

    Also this is sorta random but what Procreate brushes did you use for these? I tend to use ink bleed or technical pencil for my lineart and the round brush for colour/shading :P

    -Kraft

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used Water Pen in the Calligraphy section, on a reduced opacity (I think). Also, I was using an Apple Pencil, which means the size (and/or the the opacity, it depends on the brush) varies with how much pressure I put on the pencil while I'm drawing the line.

      For the last one, I used the Chalk brush, also in Calligraphy (again, I think), full opacity.

      Technical Pencil is cool, but in case you ever find you need a thicker line, I've had good success with Studio Pen! :D

      (A very caffeinated DXplorergirl)

      Delete
    2. Yeah I use an Apple Pencil too :P I don't have pressure on though because I'm worried about scratching my iPad's screen... which has unfortunately happened a few times.

      I've never really used those brushes before, I might try them out sometime!

      -An equally caffeinated Kraft

      Delete
  3. SO GOOOODDDD ACK
    YOUR ART IS OUTSTANDING KARA!!!

    And OM
    THAT BONUS PICTURE
    THAT'S HILARIOUS, EVEN THOUGH I MAY OR MAY NOT DO THAT ONE DAY. XDDD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omigoodness Kara why have you not shown me these drawings yet? I am glad I decided to check the posts here on the AJAC because these look awesome! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete

This blog is for Jammers of all ages, so there are some comment rules:
LINKS MUST BE ANIMAL JAM RELATED, AND APPROPRIATE!
Don't post links to unrelated or inappropriate websites, or your comment won't be approved.
NO BAD WORDS!
Comments with swear/curse words will never be approved! Keep your comments clean.
BE NICE!
Keep your comments kind! Constructive criticism is appreciated, but bullying of any kind is not.
NO PERSONAL INFO!
I will not approve comments containing or asking for personally identifiable information!

Thanks for visiting The Animal Jam Artists Collaborative!