Monday, August 27, 2018

The Panda With a Pearl Earring Part 4: The Finished Product!

Hello Jammers, Arctic here!

I have excellent news! At last, I have completed my masterpiece that I've been working on for the last two months!

Now, if you're not familiar with what is going on- allow me to get you all caught up! For the last two months, I have been working on making a masterpiece and showing you all the progression over the weeks. This masterpiece is a parody of a famous painting called The Girl With a Pearl Earring by Vermeer!

As always: here's the original for reference:

All credit to Vermeer
And here is where we left off last week:


Now let's see what I did this week!

First, I did some significant work with some of the finer details. I softened and cleaned up the look of the ears, as well as fix the shading on the arm (which I wasn't happy with last week) to make it flow better together. I also added some shading to the collar and belt, added the important pearl earring, as well as smoothened the body a bit.

Lastly, and most noticeably, I finally got around to fixing the face! Liza's facial markings, nose, and mouth all have more shading and have been made smoother and cleaner. Finally, I fixed the eyes with an airbrush and the smudge tool to give them more depth and life. The eyes are sort of a hybrid between the AJ style and trying to replicate the feeling of the original piece.


The last thing I did was add texture and some gentle shading to the headpiece (and darkened the ears!). I found that no matter how many times I tried to get the contrast as dark as the original, I never liked how it turned out. So, I decided to leave it a bit lighter!



And here it is, in a frame in my den! I chose the stone frame because I felt like it really helped elevate the feeling of how old this painting should be.


Finally, for those interested: I made a gif image of the progression over these last few weeks so you can all see the piece change before your eyes from start to finish!



Thank you to all of you for your supportive comments and embarking on this journey with me! It was well worth the wait!

Let me know how you felt about this series in the comments! Should I do another progression series in the future? What kind of masterpiece should I make next? If you have any questions about individual steps and how I did them, don't hesitate to ask!

Anywho, that's all for now my friends! See you soon!


5 comments:

  1. That looks... A M A Z I N G! I did really like this series and maybe next time if you did this you could drawna realistic animal:) the gif was also very cool:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OM
    That is AMAZING!! :O :O You should totally do another!! Your art skill is just amazing Arctic <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job!! The progression GIF is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome masterpiece my friend! The progression GIF is very neat

    ReplyDelete

This blog is for Jammers of all ages, so there are some comment rules:
LINKS MUST BE ANIMAL JAM RELATED, AND APPROPRIATE!
Don't post links to unrelated or inappropriate websites, or your comment won't be approved.
NO BAD WORDS!
Comments with swear/curse words will never be approved! Keep your comments clean.
BE NICE!
Keep your comments kind! Constructive criticism is appreciated, but bullying of any kind is not.
NO PERSONAL INFO!
I will not approve comments containing or asking for personally identifiable information!

Thanks for visiting The Animal Jam Artists Collaborative!